Memory
I think memory is such an amazing thing... Our eyes, ears, noses, mouths, and hands take in tons of information, and our brain is left to figure out which of that information is important to us. I think it's interesting that we each seem to have a sense or two that is more linked to our memories than the other senses... Sort of like the "5 Love Languages," for our thoughts. Luke and my sister Kristen seem to be very visual remember-ers... Luke has a darn-near photographic memory when it comes to books, movies, etc. He can remember entire sentences from books when I can barely remember that a certain idea was even presented. My sister Kristen has an amazing eye for detail... She always seems to notice my slightly different hair cuts, new shirts, jewelry that I haven't worn in a while...
I'm realizing that my memories are very sound and smell oriented... Sometimes a song will come on the radio and my heart will jump a little bit, even before I can fully process what memory I have associated with that song... Certain smells, like Lysol spray, make me feel really happy - probably because my dad always sprayed the beds in our house with it on relaxed, Saturday mornings. Other smells make me feel really anxious and uncomfortable... but those smells force me to search a little deeper in myself to figure out why I feel that way; to understand the times in my life when I've felt particularly relaxed, or anxious... Just another chance to understand myself a little bit better.
Subscribe by RSS