Joy Resolution #6 - Outside Everyday

My research contract ended 6 weeks before Leah was born. At first, it seemed like perfect timing - I'd be hugely pregnant, with lots of nesting to take care of at home. I had a list of things that needed to get done before Leah came.

And then I finished them in the first week.

And then I became very very very bored. And was hugely pregnant. And was very very very tired.

Fortunately, I had made a decision to walk every day until Leah arrived. I figured it would force me to get out of the house (when sitting behind the wheel of our car was sort of uncomfortable), while helping me to stay healthy and maybe even keep some of the pregnancy pounds off. I loved the feeling of waddling around Green Lake, listening to Eric Hutchinson on repeat, and having everyone smile at me the way people do when they know someone is throwing you a surprise birthday party.

Plus, it was even pretty sunny out those last weeks.

I didn't realize how important the walks were for me until we had a seattle rainy week and I didn't walk for 3 or 4 days in a row. I felt awful. I was cranky, I felt cooped-up, I ate more, I watched more tv, and I was exhausted. One of those nights, Luke could tell that I wasn't myself (probably because I yelled and cried at him about not pushing the bathroom scale in or something) (sorry Luke) and asked "Did you get out for a walk today?"

I don't know if it's the vitamin D, or the fresh air, or just the fact that I'm somewhere other than my house - but just getting outside can completely change a cranky day for me.

Thus Joy Resolution #6 - Outside Everyday.

I've been pretty good about this one so far - Leah loves to go outside, so we typically take an afternoon walk, or sit in the yard, or walk around the outdoor mall in town... Unfortunately, with seattle residency comes seattle rain, and it's harder to work up the motivation to get us both outside everyday. But I know how important it is for me, and most likely Leah as well.

0 comments: