Mommy Syllabus - Week 41 - Chocolate Chip Cookies!


First off, I can't tell you how long I have been waiting to write this post.

As many of you know, I don't have the best track record when it comes to making desserts.

When I bake apple pies, the bottom crust disappears. I don't know where it goes, but sometime between when the apples get added and when it comes out of the oven it jumps ship.

And it's not just baking... I also cannot make anything involving jello. My strawberry pies and strawberry pretzel salads don't ever set, and my jigglers are currently being considered as structural supports in the construction of the seattle 520 bridge.

I have had some successes, though. I've made homemade marshmallows, homemade sour patch kids, cakes from scratch, and the best 4-layer quadruple chocolate birthday cake I've ever had.

But I can't make chocolate chip cookies. Not at all. They're either undercooked, burned, or really greasy and flat.

After months of trying different variations and tricks, and combining many many different recipes, I finally did it. They're puffy, perfectly cooked, and perfectly yummy.


For your baking enjoyment, I give you...

Mommy St.Clair's After-School Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) COLD butter, cubed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips (1 bag, minus 1/2 cup.) (Eat remaining 1/2 cup while baking.)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light.
4. Beat in eggs 1 AT A TIME, waiting until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
5. Add vanilla, beat until incorporated.
6. Add flour mixture in one addition. Stir until combined.
7. Stir in chips.
8. Form balls, about 2-3 tablespoons worth (this made 24 cookies for me).
9. Bake 10 minutes.

1 comments:

Mallory said...

Love it! Is that a cute little apron for Leah? If so it is adorable!