I'll make you crazy... I'm the gingerbread man!

This past weekend, I decided to try making (and eating) gingerbread cookies... Somehow in my 22 years of life, I've either never been offered one, or I declined any offers to try one. But Luke loves them (especially with frosting) so I decided to have a go at them. Here's a run down of my "It'll probably only take me a couple hours" cookie project.
11:00- Home from grocery shopping with cookie ingredients. (Can't believe that 1.5 cups of molasses costs $4.)
11:30- Take quick look at recipe, and decide that since Luke really likes these, and so do our friends, I'll double the batch. (Dramatic Irony: What I don't know yet is that each recipe calls for 1.5cups of molasses and 7 cups of flour.)
12:00- Add shortening, sugar and molasses to Kitchenaid. Realize that I don't have enough molasses.
12:15- Home from Wegman's with second jar of molasses (Still can't believe that 1.5 cups of molasses costs $4.) Pour molasses in, start mixing. Read the next part of the recipe... (The part about the flour)...
12:30-2:30- Crabby about how I should have looked at the recipe more carefully/how on earth I'll mix 14 cups of flour/how long it will take me to make 14 cups of flour worth of gingerbread cookies... etc. Note that NO work gets done in this time.
1:30-2- Get happy again, finish making the dough, throw it in the fridge.
2-8- Dough chills in the fridge while I wrap presents and eat dinner.
9pm- I START rolling dough, and cutting and baking cookies. Some cookies are too thick. Some are too thin. Some don't look like gingerbread men.
9:30-10- Crabby about cookies in general.
10:30-11pm Luke convinces me that maybe it's time to stop making cookies (after all, we've made two containers full of them.) He cleans up the kitchen. What a great husband.
Time since onset of cookie project: 12 hours.
Moral of the story: Let your mom(s) bake you cookies. They're so much better that way.
Subscribe by RSS