Destroying the laws of physics...



Do you ever "decide" what God can probably and can't probably do? I do. For example, I expect that if I pray that God would bring lots of kids to YoungLife club, that's something that is possible for Him to do. (There are lots of kids at State High, and we have a big room for God to fill with kids.) Or if I pray that God would heal someone who is sick, that's something that is possible for Him to do. (People can get better from being sick.) Or if I pray that God would help me balance my schedule with spending time at work, with YoungLife kids, with Luke, and with Him, that's something that God can do. (I have enough time to do everything, I just need counseling on how to do it... no laws of time-space physics need to be broken.)

And then there's things that for whatever reason, I decide God probably can't do... Like make 90 cents fall from the sky so that I could buy a coconut doughnut from Wegman's and not have to record it in our budget... Or make me be able to fly so that I could get from work to the gym to home to YoungLife club really quickly... Or make a way for me to talk to that popular high school girl who says she doesn't care about God... For whatever reason, it seems like God would need to stay within the laws of nature and physics...

But yesterday during a YoungLife club talk, my friend Ben reminded me of that Peter guy in the New Testament...

"During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" -Matthew 14:25-31

It seems logical to me that Jesus could walk on the water... I mean, He was God. But make Peter walk on the water? That's nuts.

Makes me wonder what laws of nature God could break with me if I'd just ask Him to... If He can make Peter walk on water, He can probably help me talk to that State High girl.

0 comments: