Here's to you, Mrs. Schneider...

This weekend, I watched my best girlfriend make the biggest promise of her life... She got a little choked up as she repeated the words that the Pastor said to her... "In sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow..." I cried, as I glanced at the man that I made those same promises to 19 months ago, and although I couldn't actually see her, I'm sure that my stepmom cried too...
A month ago, at my grandmother's funeral, I couldn't look at my grandpa without crying... I'm sure I cried some because I would miss her, but mostly, I cried because of how sad I was for him. It felt like my heart was physically aching for him, wondering what it must feel like to lose your best friend... I honestly don't have any idea what I'd do without Luke... I would never drink any water, because he always brings it to me before I go to bed... My phone and electric toothbrush would always be dead, since he always plugs those in for me... The lights in our living room would stay on through the night, since he knows that I hate being in the dark, even for the second that it would take to walk up the stairs... Actually, the lights in our living room would probably never be on, since he always pays the electric bill, and I wouldn't even know who to send the check to.
Weirdly, when I cried at Margie's wedding, it felt like it came from the same place in my heart as when I cried at my grandma's funeral... Perhaps because I know now what a big deal those vows are, and how quickly the person you're saying those to becomes an irreplaceable part of your life...
So here's to you, Mr. and Mrs. Schneider... I'd advise against making a reality TV show documenting your newlywed life... That didn't seem to work well for Nick and Jessica.
Subscribe by RSS