Another mystery of life, solved.

I love listening to music in the car. Yesterday, it was sunny, so I rolled down the windows and sang "Rocket Man" at the top of my lungs. This morning, I popped-locked-and-dropped it in my seat to "Yeah" while driving to work. (I kept the windows up because we have the explicit version and seriously, who wants more eight year olds to be singing "I want a lady on the street but a freak in the bed"?)

Anyway.

I've found that certain music is only good in the car. This category includes "Time, Love and Tenderness" and every Britney Spears song.

Some music is only good in the car on certain days and meteorological systems. For example, Sting is for rainy days, Jack Johnson is for sunny days, Garth Brooks is for Mondays, and any type of remixed anything is for Fridays.

There are exceptions. No matter what day it is, if it's raining or sunny, James Taylor always fits the bill for me, and I've always wondered why. A few weeks ago, the mystery was solved for me when I learned that JT's Country Road was the first song my dad ever played on the guitar... And from what I've felt with my first few guitar jam sessions, I believe that your first songs become cloned right into you, and I happened to get the James Taylor strand of DNA from my dad.

Sad that our kids are going to have a strand of Taylor Swift "Our Song" DNA.

0 comments: