Mommy Syllabus - Week 10 - Father's Day & Oven Fries

Yesterday Luke celebrated his first Father's Day with breakfast in bed, Leah's dedication at church, a stop at Top Pot Donuts, a relaxing afternoon, and a wonderful dinner (if I do say so myself) of ribs, oven fries, corn, and peach berry cobbler.
Oven fries have been a nemesis of mine since 2005 - the potatoes end up burned on the outside and raw on the inside, or all mushy, or all burned. But I think I am finally on my way to victory. For those of you who share my inability to get these right, let me fill you in on a little secret that Rachael Ray taught me:
9 cuts.
After washing, cut each potato lengthwise. Place each potato half skin-side up, and make another 4 cuts in each potato, lengthwise. You'll end up with 10 perfect sized potato wedges, ready for baking. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake at 425F for about an hour. Halfway through the baking, be sure to flip the fries - otherwise you'll end up with half crispy, half not-so-crispy fries (like I did last night.)
Subscribe by RSS