Joy Resolution #8 - No dessert for breakfast.

One morning in college, I woke up starving and realized that it probably would be at least an hour before the rest of the Snyder 2S crew would be ready to head down to the Peabody cafeteria for breakfast... I looked at my snack stash to see microwave popcorn, some ramen soup, and... rice krispie treats, courtesy of Sue. I remember thinking "rice krispies are totally a breakfast food, and the marshmallows are really just some extra sugar on top, and the 143 sticks of butter... well, buttered toast is a breakfast food too."

And thus started a horrible trend of rationalizing blatantly non-breakfast items as breakfast. I've eaten half a dozen chocolate chip cookies (which are obviously just like Chocolate Chip Fiber One bars, right?), quarter of a strawberry pie (if strawberry pretzel salad is a salad, then strawberry pie is easily a fruit quiche,) and one morning when Luke was away, I ate pull and peel twizzlers. A lot of them. I don't think I was awake enough to rationalize this one, though.

And if a normal sugar crash is bad, a sugar crash on an empty stomach is cataclysmic. My head hurts, my stomach hurts, sometimes my mouth even hurts (sweet sugar babies are rough). And worse yet, I'm obviously still hungry. And I'm crabby when I'm hungry.

Thus, a very simple and straight-forward 8th resolution. No dessert for breakfast. Luke's rule for himself is no dessert before lunch, but I don't feel there's a need to be quite so hasty. Eat your eggs and toast, then your M&Ms.

0 comments: